An anti-ICE student walkout in Quakertown Borough escalated into an altercation with police and subsequent arrests Friday, after the Quakertown Community School District canceled the protest earlier in the day due to safety concerns.
According to a letter sent to families following the incident Friday afternoon by Acting Superintendent Dr. Lisa Hoffman, the district was notified Thursday evening of a “potential safety concern” related to the planned student-led protest scheduled for Friday.
In coordination with law enforcement, administrators advised that the walkout should not occur and notified students and families at about 6:45 a.m.
Despite the cancellation, at 11:30 a.m., about 35 Quakertown Community High School students left the building without permission and proceeded to Front Street in Quakertown, Hoffman said.
“The district received notification from local law enforcement that students were engaging in unsafe and disruptive behavior in town,” Hoffman stated. “District administrators immediately coordinated with the police and placed the High School and Quakertown Elementary into an external lockdown to preserve a safe learning environment.”
Police representatives told NBC Philadelphia that up to six teenagers and one adult were taken into custody and more arrests are possible.
The investigation is ongoing.
During the external lockdown, students remained inside and continued normal school-day activities, the district said. No one was permitted to enter or leave the buildings.
The lockdown was lifted at about 1:15 p.m., and school operations returned to normal.
Videos circulate online
Videos shared Friday afternoon in local Facebook groups appeared to show a physical altercation between police and students outside businesses near Juniper and Front streets, including outside Sunday’s Deli at 44 Front St.
One video shows an older man in casual clothing in front of a marked police SUV grabbing a student and taking them to the ground. In subsequent footage, the man is seen entering a police vehicle and later being attended to by emergency medical personnel. The individual is believed to be Quakertown Borough Police Chief Scott McElree, though police have not formally confirmed that.
Additional video shows at least one student being detained and placed in the back of a police SUV.
Quakertown Borough Police declined immediate comment Friday afternoon.
“There’s nobody that can talk right now,” a department representative said. A message was left for Lt. Joshua Mallery.
School response
Missy Hartley, Director of Communications for Quakertown Community School District, said earlier Friday that although the protest had been canceled, students were still legally permitted to leave.
“We sent a message prior to the school day starting that the student-led protest was canceled due to safety concerns that we have,” Hartley said. “Yet, some of the students decided to walk out.”
Hartley would not confirm whether any students or officers were injured.
“Right now, this is all unfolding in real time,” she said earlier in the day.
In her letter, Hoffman stated the district is “actively investigating multiple reports regarding the actions of any student who left the building without permission” and is awaiting additional information from police.
“The safety and well-being of our students and staff are our top priority,” Hoffman wrote.
The district requested a police presence at dismissal “to ensure student, family, and staff safety.”
As of late Friday, police have not confirmed whether charges will be filed or whether any injuries occurred.